Friday, March 5, 2010

Poop Patrol

The Sun is shining and it's still frozen. Enough of the backyard has thawed, so this morning I went out to scoop some poop. Wow, that was A LOT of poop! I filled two(2) Target bags of poop and that is only from the half of my yard that is thawed! It was indeed a long Winter!

Amongst the copious amounts of dog poop I was scooping I could see seemingly endless piles of Bunny poop. Now I know Disney has spent decades making us all think that every animal is cute, cuddly and should be preserved and loved. I am much more pragmatic than that. My philosophy on Bunnies in My Garden is that any Bunny in My Garden is gonna be a Dead Bunny in My Garden. The same is true of Chipmunks in my Garden. Thumper, Chip and Dale and their like are very Unwelcome in My Garden. I will confess to being a ruthless killer of Garden Pests. Mr. McGregor has nothing on My Gardener. As a Biology major I had to kill and stuff more than a few mammals, so I am not squeamish. I can will and do kill Garden Pests. I do not use poisons. That is a no-no in my book because they can kill animals you don't want to kill, like your dog or your cat. You want to be very careful in suburban and urban settings with how you do battle with your garden pests. Trapping is usually the best option. I will leave it up to all of you as individuals as to whether you want to catch and release your pests or send them to meet their Maker. I'm pretty sure at this point you all know how I choose to treat pests in My Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment