Wednesday, April 7, 2010

This is the Arbor in My Gardener's back yard last year.  The Arbor was an anniversary gift from my wonderful husband 9 years ago.  The old clematis vines are the ONLY thing holding the arbor together anymore.  For the record the are Clematis viticella 'Polish Spirit'. They start flowering around June and keep flowering all Summer long.   I would also like to take the time to put to rest the myths surrounding clematis and whether you should cut them back or not.  35 years of gardening has taught me this.  It doesn't matter when you cut your clematis back, regardless of variety.  They WILL flower. I have 6 different clematis varieties.  Sometimes I cut them back, sometimes I don't.  But they ALWAYS flower.  ALWAYS.

At some point this Summer I will get a picture of the Clematis in my Mom's yard in Lake Bluff.  This Clematis, we just call her Clem,  is older than I am.  It has struggled in the crappy clay soil up near the Lake for 40 years.  But the Mighty Clem keeps right on trucking.  Should my parents ever retire and  move, I WILL be claiming the Mighty Clem and bring her to my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment