Thursday, April 22, 2010

Early Spring Perennials

Over the years I have noticed that many people have early Spring flowering bulbs and ornamental trees and shrubs to start the year with amazing displays of color to welcome the Spring but that there is a gap in their gardens for flowers between when the bulbs and ornamentals are done and perennials start.

Here are some of my favorite early Spring perennials to give your border a boost:  Pictured at left is my favorite perennial,  Geranium macrorhizum 'Bevan's Variety'.  The leaves are scented and every time you brush against them you smell citrus. I like to pair it with Convallaria majalis( Lilly of the Valley).
I also love to pair Brunnera macrophylla ( Heartleaf Brunnera aka perennial forget me not) and Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'.  Other April bloomers you might enjoy are: Stylophorum diphyllum ( Celadine Poppy), Pulsatilla vulgaris( Pasque Flower), Lamium maculatum cultivars( Spotted Dead Nettle) and Myosotis sylvatica ( Forget-me-nots).   Look for them at a local Garden Center.  Here's a shopping tip. Look for quality perennials at your locally owned garden Center.  You can get many plants at the Home Depot & Lowes etc,  the problem with them is you never know what they are going to have. Their buyers don't buy specific plants so much as they get sent random crops of perennials that fill the need for the store to have 40% shade perennials and 60% sun perennials.  Your local retailer if they don't have it in stock can call their local supplier and get it for you.  Trust me I know...I use to be an herbaceous plant buyer.  Good Luck & Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment