Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Water Logged

Good Morning!  I woke up this morning and my garden, pictured to the left, was floating.  It's hard to tell from the picture I took but there is two inches of standing water in the garden bed & the mulch is floating.  I think I am going to build an Arc for my perennials.... 

This surely will not help with all the powdery mildew, black spot,root rot, crown rot, etc. that I have been seeing everywhere.  It probably won't help with the mosquitoes either. 

Be sure to spill out any standing water in pots in your yard, that will help with the burgeoning mosquito population.  Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to get rid of the standing water in your garden.  You can however, try and help it dry out..  as the water goes down I will be moving the mulch away from the base of my plants  to expose the dirt and try and let them dry out near their crowns.  The mulch will only hold the moisture and exacerbate the conditions that can lead to root rot, crown rot, black spot etc.  So for the moment, I will move the mulch away and try and help my garden dry out...if that doesn't work I will have my Arc ready!

Good Luck & Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment