Thursday, June 3, 2010

Everyday I find a new pest or disease in the gardens


Good Morning!   Wow, did we get some rain here in Chicago.  I STILL have standing water in my back yard!

I really can't stress enough to be alert for signs of trouble in your garden beds.  All the rain has our soils waterlogged.  This leaves plants open to root rot & crown rot.  Plants that are already stressed are more susceptible to disease & pests.

I have posted some more pictures of some pests that I am seeing popping up in garden beds.  The top picture is the Striped Cucumber Beetle, the lower is Red Aphids.   If you find red aphids cut the infected stems off and seal them in a plastic bag to kill the aphids.  The Cucumber Beetle treat with safer soap.

Look for signs of root & crown rot.  Yellowing leaves that are turning slimy.  I am pulling the waterlogged mulch away from my perennials to expose the soil and let it start to dry out.  Perennials that are in dire shape I am digging out and letting dry out before I replant.

Be on alert! Good Luck & Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment