Monday, June 14, 2010

Dear Mother Nature....

Dear Mother Nature,  please ease up on the rain in Chicago for a little bit.  Generally speaking I love rain, but we've had so much this Spring that my garden is floating, heck some of my friend's entire yards are floating.  So a little respite from the rain would really be appreciated.  Say maybe a two week gap between the rain on schedule for this week and the next rain would be super duper!

Seriously, my garden is floating!  I know I have blogged about this already, but with all this rain and the diseases & insects that have come with it is all I can talk about because I can't even get into the gardens in my care to work, my own included!  The worst is that there is really nothing you or I can do about it but watch our gardens slowly decline.  Unless you have planted plants that can handle standing water, as in a Rain Garden, all you can do is watch as your plants start to die from root rot & crown rot brought on by over saturated soil.  When the rain does finally stop for a bit, dig out your perennials that are really showing signs of root or crown rot( check some of my earlier blogs for pictures of plants with these diseases), cut back the leaves and let the roots dry out some on a hard surface. You can pitch fork the soil and try and air it out as well.

Good Luck & Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment