Friday, July 2, 2010

I'm baaaack!


Good Morning!  I took a small hiatus from blogging.  As you can see from the picture I posted, I almost pruned my finger right off!  I took seven stitches!!!  Thankfully I didn't get my fingernail!

And thankfully,the rain seems to be behind us.  Here in Chicago it was the wettest June in 113 years!!!  Damn Skippy it was!  Now that the rain has stopped, it is a good time to get into your garden and cut back hard on your perennials that have grown to bionic proportions with all the rain.  Cut them back to the ground and let them flush back out. You will get what amounts to a second season out of your perennials.  My Celadine Poppies( Sylophorum diphyllum) have bloomed twice already!  My Spiderwort( Traadescantai spp.) are ready to do the same.

Remember my friends, that despite a months worth of record setting rain, you need to monitor your garden for when to water. People with more sun and Southern & Western exposures will need to water this weekend when it heats up.  I have been in more than a few gardens this week that are already bone dry believe it or not!  Shade gardens will be slower to dry out in general, UNLESS there are large trees.  The trees take a lot of the water and you may find your shade garden to be drier than it should be.  So keep your eyes open for watering needs. 

Good Luck & Happy Gardening!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment